Apple Watch Revolutionary Feature Can Detect High Blood Pressure and Sleep Apnea

Apple Watch Revolutionary Feature Can Detect High Blood Pressure and Sleep Apnea

There’s a study that has been focusing on devices such as Apple Watch or Fitbit, that can detect some common conditions. They can accurately tell if a person has sleep apnea or hypertension.

The University of California San Francisco and their health startup Cardiogram have demonstrated that the Apple Watch has an accuracy of 90% for sleep apnea and 85% accuracy for hypertension.

There is no need to highlight the amazing utility of such a device that can also detect these conditions by just wearing them, with no need to go out of your house to constantly check them.

While it is recommended to go for regular medical check-ups, these devices are always there for you to detect spikes in blood pressure at any time. As for sleep apnea, it’s a condition difficult to check, as it only occurs when the person is sleeping.

It Helps You Track These Conditions So You Can Treat Them From the Beginning

The study was conducted through the app called Cardiogram and had a total of 6,115 users that participated using their Apple Watch. After a period of time, the results showed that 1,016 of the total participants had sleep apnea and 2,230 had hypertension. The app uses something called DeepHeart, a type of algorithm that is trained in deep learning. It received data from 70% of participants and afterward, it was tested on the rest of the 30%.

One of the brains behind Cardiogram, Johnson Hsieh stated that the devices that are like Apple Watch can have a heart-rate sensor incorporated into the design. He also said that the app is also good for people that are not aware of their blood pressure and the fact that they might have hypertension. This way people could treat it from the very start.

There are two other deep studies in medicine that have been made since 2016: the diabetic eye disease studied by Google Brain, last year in December and the study conducted by Stanford this January that focuses on skin cancer.

Post Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.